Field Notes Streetscapes (2-pack)
Sold as twin packs with two editions...
New York + Miami or Los Angeles + Chicago
You Take It From Here
Our first idea for the Spring 2023 Limited Edition revolved around urban architecture, and the juxtaposition of new and old styles in large American cities. At the same time, we were thinking that it was about time to create some proper Sketch Books with top-quality body paper.
While doing some research (i.e. clicking around the web) we came across the artwork of Steve McDonald, and specifically his series of best-selling adult coloring books depicting real-life and imaginary city scenes. So we reached out to Steve and one thing led to another. We selected four attractive American cities, found a view of each that suited his illustration style, bounced a few sketches back and forth, and set him to work. Meanwhile, we compiled useful (and not-so-useful) information about the four cities, and tested a variety of media on several paper stocks. We’re proud to present the result, our 58th Quarterly Edition: “Streetscapes.”
Steve’s four exquisite “colouring book” architectural illustrations wrap around the front and back covers of these 4-3/4" × 7-1/2" Sketch Books. There are two 2-Packs in the series, one features Los Angeles and Chicago, and the other includes New York and Miami. On the inside covers, you’ll find fun facts about each city, and inspiration for your drawings.
Bound inside by three black staples, you’ll find 48 plain pages of Mohawk Superfine “Ultra White” 70#T, a premium paper that’s ideal for sketching and artwork using a variety of media.
You’ll love Steve’s intricate illustrations, they’re plenty attractive left alone in simple black and white, but you’ll want to add your personal touch of color. Coloring them is a joy. We can’t wait to see what they look like when you get done with them.
- 01. Illustrations by Steve McDonald: @stevedmcdonald, sdmcdonald.com
- 02. Proudly printed and bound by the good people of Active Graphics, Cicero, Ill.
- 03. Cover: Mohawk Superfine “Ultra White” 100#C with a thick, brute force, 1-color application of “Dachshund Nose Black” soy-based Saphira ink.
- 04. Innards: Mohawk Superfine “Ultra White” 70#T Eggshell.
- 05. Cover and innards printed on a Komori Lithrone S40 40" 6-color offset printing press.
- 06. Bound with a Heidelberg Stitchmaster ST 270 5-pocket saddle stitcher with appreciation to Samuel Slocum, George W. McGill, and William J. Brown, the “Founding Fathers of the Staple.”
- 07. Corners rounded to 1/2" (12.7mm) by a Challenge double-round-corner machine.
- 08. Pages left blank, ready to accommodate whatever you've got to throw at them.
- 09. Note book dimensions are 4-3/4" × 7-1/2" (121mm × 191mm).
- 10. FIELD NOTES uses only the Futura typeface family (Paul Renner, 1927) in its materials.
- 11. All FIELD NOTES memo books are printed and manufactured in the U.S.A.
- 12. UPCs - Pack A: New York & Miami 850032279215 - Pack B: Los Angeles & Chicago 850032279222