FIELD NOTES 60th Quarterly Limited Edition, for Fall 2023, is “Birch Bark.”
It’s as simple, elegant, and austere as its name-sake tree.
The genus Betula is known for its white, papery bark, evoked here by speckled 110# Mohawk Loop “Snow” cover stock, heavily debossed with just a hint of warm gray.
Bright green birch leaves turn radiant yellow in the autumn. When the leaves are gone in the winter, with snow on the ground, a birch stand becomes colorless, a perfect subject for dreamy black-and-white photos.
These three seasonal stages are echoed in the green, yellow, and black staples of the books in each 3-Pack, and also in the graph colors of the 60# Finch Opaque body paper.
This is a simple, practical edition; a successor to centuries of notes, proclamations and lists inscribed on birch bark.
It’s also a throwback to our own past Fall releases, like long-sold-out favorites “Mackinaw Autumn,” “Fire Spotter,” and “Shenandoah.”
We hope you’ll find these useful for journaling and note-taking this fall. As Robert Frost told us, “One could do worse than be a swinger of birches.”
- 01. Proudly printed by the good people of The Graphic Arts Studio, LLC, Barrington, Ill.
- 02. Cover: Mohawk Loop 110#C “Snow,” debossed by MCD, Inc. Madison, Wisc., with a subtle kiss of “Cloud” soy-based Superior ink.
- 03. Innards: Finch Paper Opaque Smooth 60#T “Bright White,” with a fine, 1-color application of “Arugula,” “Lemon,” or “Cloud” soy-based Superior inks.
- 04. Cover and innards printed on a Heidelberg Speedmaster CD 102S six-color printing press.
- 05. Bound with a Muller Martini 6-pocket saddle stitcher with cover feeder/scorer, with appreciation to Samuel Slocum, George W. McGill, and William J. Brown, the “Founding Fathers of the Staple.”
- 06. Corners precisely rounded to 3/8" (9.5mm) radius with a Challenge DCM double round-corner machine.
- 07. Graph grid: 3/16" × 3/16" (4.7mm × 4.7mm).
- 08. Memo book dimensions are 3-1/2" × 5-1/2" (89mm × 140mm).
- 09. FIELD NOTES uses only the Futura typeface family (Paul Renner, 1927) in its materials.
- 10. All FIELD NOTES memo books are printed and manufactured in the U.S.A.
- 11. Limited Edition of 24,000 3-Packs.
- 12. UPC: 850032279253