Field Notes Utility (Graph) 3-pack
GET BUSY - "Utility" features Engineer Graph with an 1/8-inch grid with bolder lines each half-inch.
It awaits your schematics, assembly drawings, geometry homework, or dungeon maps. The Ledger version, of course, is ultra-handy for mileage logs, parts lists, to-do lists, or any sort of handwritten accounting.
People often ask, "Where do your ideas come from?" In this case, it started with the cover paper. Mohawk's beautiful vibrant Via Vellum 80# "Safety Yellow" cover jumped right out of the sample book like a DOT warning sign. It also brought to mind the yellow tape of a tape measure, which gave us another idea...
IT MEASURES UP
After ten years of making (and using) our memo books, we've come to realize that the ruler on the inside of the back cover is one of Field Notes' most frequently-used but least-acknowledged features. We've been known to tear off a back cover of a filled-up book just to have an accessible ruler on hand around the office, workbench, or printing press. For this edition, we designed a new flip-out ruler (inches on one side, centimeters on the other) that folds out of the back cover. Upon seeing our mockup, our printer said "it can't be done! The binding machine will cut the ruler off!" Then they remembered they love doing things that "can't be done" and figured it out: with the edge of the back cover indented 1/8" from the rest of the book, it worked like a charm.
Inside, you'll find "Pure White" Mohawk Via Vellum 70# text stock. It's ruled in an unobtrusive "Get-It-Done Gray," with the aforementioned ledger lines or engineer grid. This vellum stock is heavy, toothy and can't wait to meet your favorite pen or pencil. Three tough black staples hold the books together, and the outside corners are rounded to a 3/8" radius.
- 01. Proudly printed by the good people of eDOC Communications, Mount Prospect, Ill.
- 02. Cover: Mohawk Via Vellum 80#C "Safety Yellow," with a brute force 2-color application of "Contractor Black" and "Overtime Red" soy-based Saphira inks.
- 03. Innards: Mohawk Via Vellum 70#T "Pure White" with a fine, 1-color application of "Get-It-Done Gray" soy-based Saphira ink.
- 04. Cover and innards printed on a Heidelberg Speedmaster XL 105 40" 6-color press.
- 05. Bound with a Heidelberg Stitchmaster ST 270 5-pocket saddle stitcher with cover feeder/scorer, with appreciation to Samuel Slocum, George W. McGill, and William J. Brown, the "Founding Fathers of the Staple."
- 06. Corners precisely rounded to a 3/8" (9.5mm) radius with a Challenge SCM double round-corner machine.
- 07. Engineer graph grid: 1/8" x 1/8" (3.18mm x 3.18mm). Ledger lines: 1/4" (6.4mm).
- 08. Memo book dimensions are 3-1/2" x 5-1/2" (89mm x 140mm).
- 09. FIELD NOTES uses only the Futura typeface family (Paul Renner, 1927) in its materials.
- 10. All FIELD NOTES memo books are printed and manufactured in the U.S.A.